March 25, 2008

The Treaty of Sinchulu

This piece is inspired by, among other things, old Bollywood movie posters. I imagined an historical exploitation film, completely distorted and "dramatized".

The piece could probably be better but I had only one week to complete it in order to show it at the Murray Hill show.


After about the fifth day, I could see tiny details in the reflections of passing cars. I'd never drawn so much before and I think my eyes became hyper sensitive to detail.

These images are huge, I can make smaller ones if anyone wants them.

3 comments:

Scott Allen said...

wow, I'm pleased with your dedication and finishing this successful piece before the show. I wonder how to make a pic of this proportionately flawless...hmm, maybe for a print or something..I would like to also see a tricked out photoshop version of it, see the different possibilities..

Ben said...

Maybe a photomosaic would get rid of the warping. I was sorta thinking of this kind of thing on a skateboard deck (suspending the distaste for trends for a moment of course).

I could send you the mockup psd if you like.

I had a very long debate with Nate last night about this piece. He argued that the inclusion of banal / cheesy elements (bollywood characters) distracted from the formal elements. I argued that the banality was, in itself, part of the formality...like another texture to invoke. It was fun.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.